Thursday, March 8, 2012

Oh wow, I missed a week

I just looked back at the last blog post to see where I had left off... and I've somehow skipped a week. Sorry about that! It's far too easy to lose track of time when you work two weekends in a row. Or 19 days straight (if that puts things more into perspective). That being said, the lab work is coming along quite nicely. It has paid off having to work the ridiculous hours :)
(I've just figured out why the week was "skipped". Its because this post is coming later in the week than usual, so this week is clouding up my memories of last week 0_o )
Last week had a few big highlights: one of them being trying out a new class at the gym. Nike Fitness Club (which is also a free iPhone App) is great! Lots of cardio mixed with bodyweight strength training. This is becoming my new favorite form of work out. I highly recommend it to anyone with any Apple product. And its easy to do at home as well, don't need a gym membership at all! There is only one more class at the gym that I want to try (spinning) and then I'll have tried them all! I'm signed up for spin next week, so we'll see how it goes. I've heard its pretty intense. Also in the world of fitness- there is a website called Fitocracy that is GREAT for keeping the motivation up to work out. Its a social network built around fitness- you earn points and gain levels by working out and there are quests and achievements you can get by trying out different exercises. Its good for me for both motivation AND giving me ideas on new ways to work out. My biggest issue is that I get bored with the same routine. But Fitocracy really helps with that. They are still in beta testing, so sign up while its still new and the gettin's good!
I also went to a party this past Saturday (its been SO long) and had a blast. I went with the group of people that I live with and they are always a good time. Sunday I went to Wagamama for dinner with a friend; its a noodle/rice bowl place, mainly Japanese, and very good! Then we went to Komedia, which is a stand-up comedy venue, and saw four different comedians do small stand-up sets. They were hilarious and it was great! So even though I had to work both days, the past weekend turned out to be really enjoyable :)
And since work has been encompassing my ENTIRE LIFE (or so it seems), I'll fill you in on that. As you know, the electron microscope work is going beautifully. I've finished my first experiment and am meeting with my supervisors (and other professors who are helping me with these experiments) on Monday to go over future plans for electron microscope usage. My focus will be shifting there for awhile. There's a chance I've found something new and thus, publishable!!!! It would be AWESOME to get published in my first year. Cross your fingers for me! The behavioral experiment that has been causing me stress, tears, and wasted days has FINALLY worked out for me. Finally :). There was something wrong with the batch of snails I was using, but with the fresh batch, all the outcomes are as they should be. There is still plenty of work left before I can say this experiment is "done", but I can easily build off of it when I shift my focus back after the electron microscope tangent. And, I have to say, after work tomorrow, I'll have dissected 150 brains this week. WOW. ...My soul just died a little bit.
I'm REALLY looking forward to this coming weekend. Why you ask? Because I have it off. And I'm so so so so excited to not go into my office.

See you later, alligator(s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment