Thursday, October 17, 2013

Oktoberfest!

As many of you know, I went off to Oktoberfest for some epic German adventures. It was my first time in Germany and I loved it!

We did a road trip, since the flights were over 200 pounds each when we were looking to book in early March. On the way there, we split the driving over two days and stopped over in the Black Forest.





We stayed in a tiny town with a waterfall only 1.5 km away. It was beautiful and now I am determined to go on a camping/ hiking trip throughout the Black Forest at some point.

We then headed down to Munich; sad to leave the beautiful forest surroundings but excited to start the Oktoberfest fun! After we got to our camping hostel and pitched our tents, we headed out for a little history before starting the celebrations. Dachau concentration camp is just outside of Munich and we went for a visit. It was obviously a very sad  experience, but I am very glad that we went.


After the dose of history, we went to the wiesen for our first beers:





The next day, we went on a walking tour of Munich. And then headed off to the wiesen at night for more Oktoberfest celebrations.




We got our lederhosen and dirndls and spent the last two days of Munich at the Oktoberfest, in the tents. The first day we were in Lowenbrau and the second we were in Augustiner.







After Munich, we went off and stopped over in Cologne before the long drive back home. I LOVED Cologne! And ate the biggest schnitzel of my life...







Overall, I loved it. Every city we went to. And the German people are some of the nicest I've ever met. I can't wait to go back to that beautiful country!


No comments:

Post a Comment